I love my first graders to death and with the horrific news of the Connecticut shooting yesterday I wanted to hug them all a little tighter as I safely sent them out the door at the end of the day. They thought that they too needed to share a little extra with me and one of them so kindly had passed on their cold. No fun. I thought that this comic was kind of funny though, I sort of wish I could just tape my throat up, like a sore ankle, and have it provide some relief!
However it made me think of all of the poor families and friends that lost loves ones, both old and young yesterday for no reason. Those poor children. One of my first thoughts of course was to my little firsties. We have drills for things like that all the time but to actually live through it terrifies me at even the thought. My heart aches for the families that had to go home yesterday without their little ones in their arms. As a soon to be mom I am amazed at the love I have for my little one already and I know that when I actually get to hold and love on my precious baby that the love I thought I had will look tiny compared to how I will actually feel and I can't imagine losing that. Just into a cloud of smoke, poof, and your life, because of a decision made by someone else, completely out of your control chose to take that away from you. I thought of all of the pretty packages already wrapped with those children's names on them. Will they ever get moved from under that tree? A painful reminder to those parents that they won't ever be opened by the ones whom they were so thoughtfully purchased for. My heart also aches thinking of the survivors and what those children had to see and the innocence they to had ripped from them way to early in life. These events really put into your mind the important things in life. I wish that I could just tape up all of their sore hearts as well and protect them from the evil world that we sometimes live in. However we just have to remember to live in their legacy, hug our loved ones a little tighter, be a little more grateful for the many blessings that we have, be so grateful for the knowledge that many of us have of the gospel and eternal families. I put myself in that place, losing my sweet baby after sending them off for what I assumed would be a normal day of school and I know that there would be no comfort, nothing to stop the ache, and the memories from flooding back and the pain knowing that I wasn't there to help them in their time of need. However the gospel would help provide some light into that dark place, knowing that I would get to raise my baby still, not in the time that I had intended but that they may be gone for now but not lost forever. I would be able to hug them and kiss them again someday and that they are still sealed into our family. I think that is the only place that I could see comfort in it all. I am so grateful for the knowledge that I have of the gospel and thankful for all that Christ has done to make that a reality in each of our lives that we can live forever and have our families eternally, because mortal life just isn't long enough and sometimes it is most definitely to short.


No comments:
Post a Comment